Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Blueberry Pie


Blueberry Pie

This recipe is written on an old faded recipe card that was given to my mom years ago. It's been my mom's standard (and perhaps only) blueberry pie recipe. This past weekend when my sister's family came to visit, I made this pie from our own freshly picked blueberries. Everyone loved it, even my niece and nephew who claim they dislike blueberries!!

Prebaked pie crust

5 cups fresh blueberries
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon butter (I wasn't reading the instructions, so I missed the part about adding the butter. No one missed it!)
Slightly sweetened whipped cream

Combine 2 cups blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, salt, and water in pot and cook over medium heat until thick. Remove from heat and add butter. Cool. (Once again, I didn't read the instructions and failed to cool.) Add the remaining 3 cups of blueberries and fill pie crust. Chill in refrigerator several hours or overnight until cold. Serve with whipped cream. 
Enjoy! 


2 comments:

  1. Good Morning Lydia!
    I just got two flats of Maine blueberries...and am planning to try your blueberry pie recipe. I have always made mine with two crusts, baked... but this looks really yummy! So...before I freeze all these berries...thought I'd give it a try!

    Hope you are all having a nice day!
    Sweet blessings,
    Mrs. Wiley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mrs. Wiley!
      Our blueberry bushes have done much better this year than the last several years, so we've been able to pick quite a bit from them. These blueberry pies were extra special because the blueberries were picked that day from our own bushes! =) If you try this recipe, I'd love to hear how y'all like it!
      Hope you had a wonderful day!

      Delete