Sunday, December 12, 2010

Sausage and Kale Soup

About a year ago, Rebecca took me out for lunch at Olive Gardens for my birthday. I can't remember which of us ordered this soup but sisters we are, so we tried each other's soups and loved this one. When we returned to her home, Rebecca searched the web for a copycat recipe of this soup. A couple weeks ago, I pulled this recipe out again to see how my family liked it. I changed a few things to suit our family better and everybody loved it. When there's actually been leftovers, Dad asks for it to be saved for him for when he comes home from work. This soup tastes fabulous served with a crusty bread. Enjoy!


4 cups Yukon gold potatoes, sliced in half, and then in 1/4" slices.
1 1/2 cup onion chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth
4 cups water
4 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 Lb. Italian sausage (Hot is best as it gives a wonderful flavor)
2 packed cups kale, chopped
1 cup heavy whipping cream

Brown sausage and crumble. Drain and set aside. Place onions, potatoes, chicken broth, water, garlic in pot and cook on medium heat until potatoes are done. Add sausage and bacon. Add salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for another 10 minutes. Turn to low heat, then add kale and cream. Heat through and serve. 

Serves 8

4 comments:

  1. This is my favorite soup and everytime I have it there - I am convinced homemade is better! I always serve mine with some garlic bread and freshly grated parmesean cheese.....ohh - I think there is some left in the fridge...gotta go!! love to the family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Miss Lydia,

    Greetings from Maine! I've been looking for some "kale" recipes...and stumbled across yours. This looks delicious! We planted a lot of kale this year...I really love it in salads...but was looking for some other ways to serve it. Thank you so much for sharing!

    By the way, how was your trip to Japan?
    Sweet blessings,
    Mrs. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mrs. Wiley, It's good to hear from you! This soup is one of our family's absolute favorites! If you try this recipe, I'd love to hear how you like it.
    I enjoyed my time in Japan immensely. I loved learning about the culture, people, language...anything and everything. It was a huge growing experience for me; the Lord taught me much during those months. I've been asked if I would ever go back and I would definitely say "yes"! I don't know if you're on FB, but I posted a few pictures there during my first month or so in Japan.
    Hope you all are doing well. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you as well, sweetie! I am definitely going to try this recipe...it sounds so delicious! I just love soups and stews and chowders...especially on those snowy cold New England evenings! If you stumble across any other good kale recipes...I'd love to hear about them!

      I'm so glad you had a good experience in Japan. It is amazing what the Lord teaches us in His timing...isn't it? We're going through a lot of that kind of thing here right now. My parents are struggling with a lot of health issues and care issues...and it has been a learning experience for me. I'm so thankful that I can be here to help with them...to make things easier for them...God is so good.

      I would really love to see you all again sometime! It is amazing how time passes so quickly...seems like it was just yesterday that we had that lovely visit at your home. Please know that our door is always open...we would love to have you visit us as well! New Hampshire isn't really all that far from Maine...we're practically neighbors!

      Take care...give my love to your mom and family...and I'll let you know how the soup turns out!
      Love,
      Mrs. Wiley

      Delete