Thursday, September 30, 2010

Summer Squash Enchiladas

Here is another summer squash recipe that I made to use up that surplus amount of squash. =) Everyone liked it; even those who don't care for squash!!

4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 cups milk
2 cups grated cheddar or Monterey jack cheese
salt and pepper
6 cups diced summer squash
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups diced onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh hot peppers or to taste
16 (8-inch) tortillas
2 cups diced tomatoes - we had picante sauce on hand, so that is what I used instead

In a small saucepan, melt the butter and stir in the flour and chili powder to make a thick paste. Add the milk a little at a time, stirring well after each addition to prevent lumps. Add the cheese and heat gently until the cheese is melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Preheat the oven to 400 F.
Steam the squash until just tender, about 5 minutes.
In a saute pan, heat the oil and saute the onion, garlic, and hot peppers until limp, 3-5 minutes. Add the squash and two-thirds of the sauce. Toss to coat.
Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish. Spoon some filling onto each tortilla and roll like a crepe. Place seam side down in the baking dish. Spoon the extra sauce on top and sprinkle with the tomatoes. Bake the enchiladas for 30 minutes, or until hot. Serve immediately.
Makes 8 servings

2 comments:

  1. Dear Miss Lydia,
    This looks and sounds so delicious! We have plenty of squash...I think that I will give this a try this weekend! My famiy loves tortillas...so this should be a big hit. Thanks so much for sharing!
    Love,
    Mrs. Laura

    P.S. Any chance you might print your "coffee bar" recipe soon? It was tooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Wiley,
    Thank you for commenting! I did make a couple changes to this recipe. I made the sauce 1 1/2 times. Also I cut heaping amounts of the squash. It ended up making two 9x13 pans, but no one complained! There were no left-overs! =)
    I keep reminding myself to put that coffer bar recipe up on my blog! I've made it several times since y'all were here for fellowship meals at our meeting. It seems to be a big hit with everyone. So when we get back from our trip to SD, I promise you I'll put that recipe up here. In the meantime, I'm really sorry for the delay. =)
    Hope you have a fantastic weekend.
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete